At work, I’ve recently been building a web-based tool that aggregates information about network devices from a variety of sources, and allows searching based on given criteria. The js/html frontend communicates with a python backend via ajax requests. Having some experience with it in the past, I decided to use sorttable.js for sorting data by column.
Sorttable.js has an easy way
to make a table sortable after dynamically adding it via DOM calls. Despite
this, my table still wasn’t sorting anything when I clicked on column headers.
I was adding new table rows with (paraphrased)
document.getElementById('tableId').appendChild('someTrElem'), and they were
showing up in the table, but none of the table headers had events listening even
after calling sorttable.makeSortable.
Eventually, through exploring with my favorite DOM inspector, I discovered that
all my table rows containing data had somehow been added as children of my
<thead>, as opposed to the
<tbody> I had also created. Once I started
explicitly adding my new
<tr>s to my
<tbody> rather than the
was finally able to sort the table.